Merrifield Consultants are delighted to be working with Carers UK on an exclusive basis to recruit a proactive and visible finance professional who is able to engage and build relationships across the organisation as a pivotal member of the finance team. You will be a qualified accountant with proven track record of financial management awareness and understanding of charity SORP. You will have the ability to work proactively with staff across the organisation in supporting good financial governance and oversight of financial operational matters. You will have the ability to analyse financial information and present this in a suitable format for the audience. You will have good ability to meet deadlines, be IT literate with an emphasis on financial systems, spreadsheets, Quickbooks and Excel. You will be highly organised with excellent attention to detail and be able to work with minimum supervision
ABOUT CARERS UK
Carers UK is the leading national charity for unpaid carers. Their support, advice, information and campaigning work are now needed more than ever, as unpaid carers are providing more and more care, adversely impacting on their own health and wellbeing. They exist to make life better for carers and bring about lasting change.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The role will involve the management of the day-to-day financial activities, VAT, gift aid, payroll and the monthly, quarterly and annual reconciliations and reporting. The job holder will work closely with the Chief Operating Officer and Finance Officer within the team. There will be a requirement to work closely with the income generating staff, budget holders, external auditors, banks and credit card providers on a regular basis. The Finance Manager will be responsible for managing the Finance Officer
- Manage the financial accounting function of the organisation.
- Regularly review the finance systems, processes and accounts structure to ensure it is appropriate to Carers UK’s needs, taking corrective action as and when necessary.
- Verify and validate the restricted funds accounts and reports and incorporate into the main accounting and reporting systems.
- Maintain appropriate credit control systems to ensure funds due are received and advise the Chief Operating Officer accordingly.
- Ensure the effective use of direct debits, BACs and other methods of streamlining payments & invoicing.
- Comply with requirements for VAT accounting and reporting, prepare quarterly VAT returns – ensuring the accuracy of VAT apportionment.
- Prepare all tax returns in line with tax laws and regulation.
- Prepare monthly management accounts for budget holders and senior management team.
- Prepare regular management reports for the Finance Committee and Board of Trustees.
- Maintain an organisational cash-flow forecast and assist staff managing restricted funds to prepare and maintain cash-flow forecasts as needed.
- Provide support and assistance to staff in preparing report to funders.
- Work with the fundraising team to maintain a schedule of funds due, trusts, grants and donations, showing when payments are due and grants terminate.
Salaries & Pensions
- Reconcile payments of all staff monthly salaries and statutory and non-statutory deductions from pay.
- Work with the HR Manager in administering the group pension scheme.
- Line manage the Finance Officer including conducting appraisals and supporting development.
- Undertake financial risk assessments as appropriate and relevant.
- Undertake finance projects as and when required.
- Work at all times in accordance with Carers UK policies and procedures.
- Carry out other duties appropriate to the post as required by the line manager.
- Promote equality and diversity and work at all times in accordance with Carers UK’s values, policies and procedures.
- To attend staff meetings, Carers UK staff conferences in London, or travel to
- Carers UK offices in the nations which may require an overnight stay, as directed.
- Comply with data protection regulations, ensuring that information on clients, members, supporters, employees and volunteers remains confidential.
Essential Skills and Experience
- ACA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent qualification.
- Audit or statutory accounts preparation experience.
- Experience in using a finance system to extract information or reports and post journals.
- Experience in identifying and resolving errors in financial information.
- Ability to interrogate and reconcile financial data.
- A good knowledge of taxation and experience of VAT matters – including apportionment of VAT
- Use of Microsoft Office and particularly use of Excel to a high standard to record, analyse and compare data quickly and effectively.
- Strong analytical and logical problem-solving skills, particularly in relation to reconciliation of figures.
- Excellent communication, particularly when working with other teams who may not share the same background understanding.
Desirable skills and experience
- Knowledge and experience of accounting databases including Quickbooks
- Experience of working in the charity sector
- Knowledge of the Charity SORP regulations and an understanding of how to apply them
We practice a diverse and inclusive recruitment process that ensures equal opportunity for all we work with, irrespective of race, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, age or gender. As an organisation, we encourage applications from all backgrounds and will ensure measures are met when required, to allow a fair process throughout.
£45000 - £50000.00 per annum